Job Opening: SNAP Outreach Advocate
The focus of End Hunger Connecticut!, Inc. is to eliminate hunger in the state through outreach, public education and legislative and administrative advocacy. Our goal is to raise awareness of hunger in the state of Connecticut, promote funding for and access to nutrition assistance programs, and to speak out to help eliminate the root causes of hunger. EHC! works toward the goal of helping low-income families and people move “beyond the food pantry ” towards self-sufficiency.
Job Title: SNAP Outreach Advocate
Accountability: Reports to the EHC! SNAP Program Manager
General Purpose or Function: The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), formally known as the Food Stamp Program, is a federal nutrition program available to low-income people. The SNAP Outreach Advocate will increase participation in SNAP through outreach, education and application assistance at the community and individual level.
• Organize and conduct events and workshops in targeted communities for the purpose of SNAP education/assistance and the distribution of SNAP and other educational materials.
• Network and maintain professional relationships with other community service organizations, be knowledgeable about the services they provide and make referrals whenever possible.
• Work with people seeking SNAP assistance by determining eligibility through pre-screenings, assisting with application process, following up on cases, and perform in-home visits to deliver services to the elderly and disabled.
• Work with the Department of Social Services to advocate for clients when necessary, to process applications and follow up on cases.
• Participate in SNAP advisory meetings as directed by SNAP Program Manager.
• Keep and maintain current, accurate records of individuals served, outreach activities conducted, surveys completed and other information as required.
• Provide regular reports on activities and data collected.
• Related duties as assigned.
• Demonstrated experience with Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel programs.
• Ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds and perspectives.
• Good oral and written communication skills.
• Comfortable speaking in front of large groups.
• Self directed with the ability to begin and complete tasks independently.
• Initiative and ownership in areas of responsibility.
• Bilingual in Spanish a plus.
• Ability to travel, reliable transportation necessary, some evening and weekend hours.
• Relevant experience in outreach or community work a plus.
Full time, flexible 40 hours work week. Salary commensurate with experience; benefits include medical, holidays, vacation, sick time.
Position is open until filled. This is a grant funded position through September, 2011, with the possibility of the position open for longer term.
To apply: Send cover letter, resume and salary history to: Search Committee, End Hunger Connecticut!, 102 Hungerford St., Hartford, CT 06106; e-mail: email@example.com
Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer