Director of Food Services
Food Services Department
SUMMARY OF WORK
- Administers the food service programs including National School Lunch Program, School Breakfast Program, Summer Food Service Program, CACFP for Head Start, and in-house catering in a multiple-site program and central kitchen facility according to policies and procedures, and federal/state requirements.
- Supervises and trains food service personnel.
- Develops and maintains high standards of food preparation and service with emphasis on menu appeal and nutritional value.
- Maintains high standards of sanitation and safety.
- Manages the purchasing process for food and facilities for the Food Service Department.
- Maintains records of income and expenditures, food, supplies, personnel and equipment.
- Facilitates cooperation with education partners such as administrators, teachers, parents, school district committees and students.
CHARACTERISTICS & EXPERIENCE
Vision and skills to create a nationally-respected dining program in New Haven Public Schools. Proven ability to implement new programs, work within the union environment and meet financial targets. Strong communication skills. Personal commitment and understanding of healthy food and sustainability.
GENERAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Skill in motivating and supervising food service personnel.
- Knowledge of food service program requirements.
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Ability to interpret a nutrient analysis spreadsheet.
- Ability to maintain records and complete reports, including web-based reporting.
- Written and oral communication skills.
- Considerable knowledge of quantity food production and serving techniques, food safety/sanitation requirements and procedures.
- An understanding of education food service program finances including Headstart, Elementary and Secondary school requirements.
- Skill in using public relations techniques to promote the food service program to children, school personnel and the public.
- Communication skills to work with the media and stake holders to publicize the nutrition integrity of school meals.
REPORTS TO: Chief Operating Officer, New Haven Public Schools
SUPERVISES: Local's 217, 287, 884 & 3144
EMPLOYMENT: Established by the Board of Education
BARGAINING UNIT: Executive Management & Confidential Employees
SALARY: Commensurate with Experience
- Maintains high standards of sanitation and safety in all phases of the school food service program.
- Inspects and visits school facilities and operations on a regular basis to ensure that standards of diet, cleanliness, health and safety are being maintained.
- Enforces federal and state regulations regarding nutritional standards, reports and records. Prepares and maintains all records for required audits and reviews.
- Oversees the administration of the district�s free and reduced price meals program according to federal regulations.
- Supervises and is responsible for all applications for federal subsidies.
- Assesses customer preference, industry trends and current research to develop a long range plan that facilitates continuous program improvement.
- Maintains an efficient food service operation and a high quality food service staff by recruiting, selecting, training, scheduling, supervising and evaluating all food service personnel.
- Coordinates all equipment maintenance and building repairs with the appropriate school district personnel or private service providers.
- Develops a marketing plan that promotes the school nutrition services to students, parents, other school personnel, and the community.
- Develops and implements a catering plan that is consistent with school board policies.
- Assists in collective bargaining negotiations.
- Engages in day to day supervision of food services staff.
- Recommends changes regarding operating procedures to the Superintendent of Schools.
- Serves as a member of the Superintendent's cabinet.
- Other duties as assigned by the Superintendent of Schools or designee.
Tuesday, September 4, 2012
New Haven Public Schools - Hiring a DYNAMIC Food Service Director!
Click here for more info: New Haven Public Schools - AppliTrack Recruitment
Posted by Local Food Dude at 8:28 AM